Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Dog Poetry

In the book "Fifteen Dogs", Prince, the dog with the artistic mind, creates oral poems for dogs. The trick is to have the name of the dog hidden in the poem in order to get the dog interested. Here is the poem about Atticus which is, incidentally, the one where it is easiest to find the dog's name (the others are much more challenging):

In the sunny world, with its small
things moving too fast,
I shy away from light
and in the attic cuss the dark.

Here are 3 short poems that Prince could have written, but the dog's names included are dogs belonging to Whitevale residents. 
  • Write a comment on this blog if you find them. The price is a special treat for your dog if you are the first one to respond. 
  • You can also, if you are inspired, write a poem with your dog's name hidden and post it in the blog to win a special prize for your dog.

1. In the moonlight, your ears stand up:

    the lonely cry of the loon,
    a capella, like an ancient
    sacred song in the dark.    


2. This forest is my hood, my domain,
    my homestead, even.
   Here I can run free
   and find delight in
   the aromatic pestilence of
   mouldy autumn leaves.

3. The crescent moon lights the path.
    No sound is heard but 
    of the leaves
    the trembling murmur.
    Fear not, little one,
    run with your pack!

7 comments:

  1. Great poems! I think I've found all three...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You are absolutely right!
      You win a bag of dog treats for your dogs!
      What about writing your own dog poem for Hugo?

      Delete
    2. Now that I have the hang of it, here are my submissions.

      Roving endlessly through
      the inky darkness
      buffeted by wind and sleet.
      Desperately seeking warmth
      perhaps a discarded morsel to fill the belly,
      at minimum access to
      shelter from the storm.




      With yelps and growls
      a growing vocabulary develops
      Prince with infinite patience
      encourages our voices
      to form a chorus
      teaching us to echo his sounds
      Yet some reject his wisdom.
      Poetry is not for us.

      Delete
    3. Great poems! I did not find the names of your dogs right away.
      I love them!

      Delete
  3. This just goes to show how little I connect to poetry. It never occurred to me to read the poems out loud - I was looking for spelling!!!

    ReplyDelete